Re: a minimal copyleft

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 04:24, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> # Public Licence: You may do anything you want with this work provided
> # that no additional legal or technical restrictions are placed on
> # derived works,

$ chmod 400 mysource.c

Is that an additional technical restriction? What about putting it on a
(relatively) rare medium, like a SmartMedia card?

> you give reasonable help to anyone who wants to modify
> # your derived work, and you inform recipients of this licence.

"Reasonable help" sounds like a dangerous term.

Also, both these make this license GPL incompatible - The GPL doesn't
forbid technical restrictions (it must be "machine readable"), nor does
it require you to offer help, just source ("the preferred form for
modification").

> I have to decide by the end of this week how to licence the course
> material I referred to. At present it looks like I'm going to suggest
> dual-licensing it with GPLv2 and a one-sentence licence like the one
> above while asserting copyright on behalf of a registered charity and
> inviting people to assign copyright to that organisation. That
> combination ought to cover any eventuality.

Dual-licensing under the GPL and this should be okay. If possible,
recommend that people use the GPL (or keep the dual-license).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>