Re: Should our documentation be free? (Was Re: Inconsistencies in

Joe Wreschnig said:
> If someone adds proprietary code to BSD-licensed code, however, you can
> later extract the free code (assuming you have access to the code of
> the now-proprietary program), and use it in something else. Once
> proprietary (invariant) sections are added to something under the GFDL,
> that version of the document is forever non-free, because they can't
> ever be removed.
>
> A nice example of a viral license.

If "proprietary" (invariant) sections are added to something under the GFDL,
you can still fork the (free) version from before those are added.  Similar
things have happened with software.

And there are other problems with the GFDL than just invariant texts.

--Joe