Re: GFDL - status?

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> We wouldn't even consider this argument if someone were applying it to
> a C compiler or OS kernel.

Wouldn't we?  Could a C compiler could still contain a free software
linker and not be wrong to call the linker free software?  Just like
this, it wouldn't be possible to be in Debian, but the linker itself
would not be caught by DFSG as long as it didn't charge for distribution
of the compiler, wouldn't it?

Generally I agree with you, but some of the claims made on this list
seem to assume that "document" and "documentation" mean the same.  They
don't, and that's the root of this, IMO.

What do you (or other list members) think of the pickle-passing clause?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884