Re: License with the following characteristics?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> I want my program (and any derivative works) to be allowed to use
> *accurately documented and published* interfaces to proprietary
> (or any other) libraries or programs.
> I *don't* want to allow a derivative of my program to be linked with a
> proprietary program through secret, undocumented, or unpublished
> interfaces.

I foresee difficulties in coming up with a working definition, but it's an
interesting thing to try to do.  Are you going to address
documented-but-limited interfaces (i.e. RPC services which limit their use
by contract, patented interfaces, etc.)?

> Is there a good licence to put on my program which will clearly allow
> exactly this?

Not to my knowledge.

> Can it be done with GPL-plus-exceptions?

That would be my recommendation.  Dual-license it such that it is
available under the pure GPL, or at the recipient's option, under the GPL
with additional permission to modify, distribute, and distribute
modifications when linked with <insert definition of acceptible things
here>.