Re: The Show So Far

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:10:28PM -0500, David Turner wrote:

>> Someone already answered the google question for you -- it saves
>> you the 20k on a Google Search Appliance for your intranet.
>
> That's akin to someone releasing the source of a neat,
> self-contained algorithm from an application.  I can use it in my
> own programs, and improve other, unrelated things with it, or learn
> from it, or critique it.

So it's a bit like releasing a GPL library.

> But it doesn't let me improve the application that it's from at all,
> since I don't have its source.  Likewise, Google releasing source
> might have lots of other benefits, but it doesn't let me improve
> Google in any way, and I believe those "other benefits" are
> peripheral.

I don't think they're peripheral at all.  Being able to use code for
uses other than the primarily intended one is a central part of Free
Software.

> Now, we seem to have two related but distinct cases: Google and
> BarInterface.

I agree that there are two cases under discussion, but I think both
are important and both are loopholes.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>