Re: Should the ASP loophole be fixed? (Re: The Affero license)

David Turner <novalis@novalis.org> writes:

> Here's a start:
> A user is one who causes requests or commands to be issued to an
> application via an interface, which is the proximate cause of some
> action on the part of that application.

Hrm, that may do it.  I was thinking of a definition along the lines
of "the software being used is the data most central to the work being
done by the user," but that's needlessly complex and fails in the case
of things like word processors.

It handles the case of someone who tries to authenticate to use the
software but fails (he doesn't actually send any commands).

On the other hand, it seems to include Apache, which I, at least,
don't think should be included.

I'll have to think about this a bit.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>