Re: Standard non-copyleft free license?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:46:05PM -0800, Terry Hancock wrote:
> I don't want to ruffle their feathers by making them consider all the license
> details -- I'd like to just say "BSD license" or some appropriate standard
> that they can live with.  They could, of course, sell the software to someone
> else, but the usual caveats about selling free software (i.e. you can be
> easily undersold) apply.  That might be valuable to them if they wanted to
> build significantly on it, though.

The only way you get this is if you require that the software remain
free: that they not be able to add a bit of non-free code to it, and
add restrictions prohibiting further redistribution.  The only way you'll
get that is with a copyleft, not with a BSD-ish license.

That is, the caveats you're referring to are caveats of copylefted
software, not of free software in general.

--
Glenn Maynard