Re: OCAML QPL Issue

Scripsit Barak Pearlmutter <bap@cs.unm.edu>

> The QPL contains clause 6c which states:

>     6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and other
>     software items that link with the original or modified versions of the
>     Software. These items, when distributed, are subject to the following
>     requirements:

> 	  c. If the items are not available to the general public, and the
> 	  initial developer of the Software requests a copy of the items,
> 	  then you must supply one.

> This would seem to fail the Chinese Dissident Test.

Yes.

However the question is whether one needs to invoke clause 6 at
all. Clauses 3 and 4 allow the development of "modified versions"
without any forced distribution (but with a patch clause). Normally,
extending a library with a main program counts as modifications - at
least that's the case in the theory of GPL, and it is my impression
that this interpretation rests on solid legal ground.

Viewed in that light, QPL 6 gives an *additional* permission to
develop application programs and distribute them under *another*
free(ish) license than the QPL, provided that one submits to forced
distribution. Without this permission the license would still pass
DFSG #3 (due to the GPL-like clauses 3 and 4), so it should not be
considered non-free just because it is there.

--
Henning Makholm                     "However, the fact that the utterance by
                           Epimenides of that false sentence could imply the