Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

Scripsit Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>

> It certainly does force you to share your secrets. It forces you to share
> your secrets only with your customers, though.

Nonsense. It is perfectly possible to use a modified GPLed program
internally and never tell one's customers about it.

> That's great, Thomas, but you're missing the point. You can say
> "it's about privacy, it's about the freedom to keep things private,
> it's about not fundamental rights" 'til you're blue in the face, and
> even though every word of it's completely true, it's *not relevant*.

You're wrong. It is relevant. It's one of the freedoms we're protecting.

> We don't guarantee every freedom we can, we guarantee the one's that
> are important and useful.

And privacy is an important and useful freedom.

> > But free software was never about forcing people to contribute back. =20

> No, but the GPL is about forcing people to pass the freedoms they have
> onto their users.

No. The GPL is about forcing people to pass the freedoms they have
onto the ones they give the program. If you don't give the program
away, or decide only to give it to your brother, you don't have to
give the freedoms to anyone else.

> Note that you do _not_ get to assume "privacy is good and moral and a
> right of both individuals and corporations". Justify it in other terms,

Why? Moral judgements can never be justified ex nihil.

--
Henning Makholm                   "Jeg mener, at der eksisterer et hemmeligt
                                 selskab med forgreninger i hele verden, som