Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 05:49:28PM -0500, Joe Moore wrote:

> Q: What about licenses that grant different rights to different groups?
> Isn't that discrimination, banned by DFSG#5/6?
> A: For Debian's purposes, if all the different groups can exercise their
> DFSG rights, it's OK if there are other people who can do more.
>    For example, if a work were licensed under the 3-clause BSD license
> only to elementary school teachers, but the GPL to everyone else, it
> would be DFSG-Free.

I suggest that you may be mistaken here; in fact what makes the hypothetical
package you describe free is that all a free to take the software under the
terms of the GPL. The fact that some may choose to use the BSD license is then
irrelevant.

Were you to say that the teachers may only take the software under the terms
of the BSD license, and that everyone else may only take it under the terms
of the GPL, then I don't believe we would have such a clear consensus.

It would make me uneasy, at least.

Any comments, anybody?

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
After your lover has gone you will still have PEANUT BUTTER!