Re: PHP-Nuke: A calling for votes

Hugo,

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 07:16:07PM +0100, Hugo Espuny wrote:

> For those who doesn't know in debian-legal, i am the DD for phpnuke
> package. Since Mr. Robinson had filled a grave bug against phpnuke
> license (  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=183672 ) i
> need to make a decision about moving it or not to non-free.

> As after trying (yeah!, i mean trying, because is to hard to extract
> conclusions from such a very large thread) I don't get a clear idea of
> what you legal gurus think about this matter, i 'm asking you for vote
> accordingly with your feelings in this matter, so you help me to make my
> decision as i am not legal guru.  No better moment as now we are in
> elections time :-)

I'm sorry you found the thread confusing; there were a number of side
discussions that make it difficult to follow the main points.

The bug Branden filed against phpnuke is the net result of the discussion
here.  There are other points that we disagree on, but as noted in the
bug (which was Cc:ed to debian-legal, and has not been contradicted),
there is a strong consensus that PHP-Nuke's license is non-free.  It
can only remain in non-free, or be removed altogether -- it must not stay
in main.

I don't see that a vote is either necessary or relevant here.  Unless you
have a specific argument why you believe the interpretation put forth by
debian-legal is wrong, if you are unwilling to accept the consensus of
this list and move the package to non-free, I have no reservations about
filing a bug requesting PHP-Nuke's removal altogether.

> BTW, for those who are interested, I have emailed Mr. F. Burzi about
> this and other matters, but i don't feel like he is gonna answer me,
> since this is not the first time i try to reach him unsuccessfully.

Perhaps you should reconsider whether it's wise to maintain a package for
a piece of software with such an antisocial upstream.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer