Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 12:43, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Hopefully you can understand my predicament.  I'd really like to see
> more in the way of round-table discussions between the FSF and the
> Debian Project, especially since I feel that philosophically we have far
> more similarities than differences.

*fsf hat off*
Me too.  But it's difficult, given [tries to be diplomatic] the
personalities involved, and the disparateness of Debian, etc.

*hat on*
If you propose something, I'm happy to pass it up the line here at the
FSF.
*hat off*

> At the same time we can't
> afford to be blindsided by license changes which we'd consider
> unacceptable; any maybe the FSF can't afford that, either; I don't know
> how important Debian is to them as an ally and a friendly distributor of
> their work.

I personally consider Debian approval essential to any new draft of the
GPL.

> Also,
> I think it's about time we made up our minds one way or the other about
> the GNU FDL.  The latter is an issue that we need to resolve internally
> first.

I thought Debian had decided that invariant sections, as they are now,
are definitively non-free?

> All of the above is one reason I'm very happy to have Mr. Turner on this
> list.

Actually, I think it's hilarious that you're calling me Mr. Turner.
Every time I see that, I think, "Oh, my dad's on debian-legal?  I know
he's a lawyer, but he doesn't know anything about copyright law."

I'm glad that I'm finally being given the kind of time I need to engage
in this level of conversation on D-L.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson