Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 12:31, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:15:58PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > *speaking as an FSF employee, but not stating an official position of
> > the foundation*
> >
> > I just got out of a meeting on how to clean up (2)(c).  No guarantees,
> > but I'm working for it.  Our initial thought is to move from normal
> > startup to something like -v.
>
> This is perfectly fine with me, but *please* don't let the new (2)(c) go
> into a whole lot of detail about how *exactly* the content must be
> presented.
>
> That is, I have a pipe dream about standardizing the --version outputs
> of commands such that you can always suck out the upstream version with:
>
> foo --version | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'
>
> In other words, it's fine to mandate that the material of interest be
> presented in some human-comprehensible format[1] (provided they speak the
> language :) ), but please don't specify a format in the license.

I agree.  We tend to avoid that sort of mandate anyway, but here, we
should be especially careful.

> > OTOH, the Affero bit is staying AFAIK, and I hope that Debian can accept
> > that.  We had a discussion on proper interpretation of #3 brewing, and I
> > would be happy for it to brew some more (although I'll have to take off
> > my FSF hat, of course).
>
> Can you explicate to the list what the "Affero bit" is?

See my other message in this thread.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson