Re: [Discussioni] OSD && DFSG convergence

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:21:41AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:
>
> > Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes:
> >  > But why should we bother trying to convince you anymore?  What
> >  > advantage is their?  Why should we bother proving to you that our
> >  > internal processes meet your tests of rationality?  They suit us fine,
> >  > and this is about what *we* choose to do, using the discretion
> >  > available to us.
> >
> > Some people think there should be one and only one
> > definition/guideline/understanding of what comprises free software.
> > We've got one, you've got another, RMS has a third.  Wouldn't it be a
> > good thing if there was less dissention in our community?
>
> Sure.  Why don't we adopt RMS's?  That would be my first vote.

	I always thought that the FSF's (and RMS's) Four Freedoms were
always the basis of the DFSG.  I merely thought that the DFSG exists to
codify these concepts and make them more concrete.  Sort of like a
checklist so we don't forget anything.

	What might be a useful thing to do is start adding appendices to
the DFSG with examples of how we have interpreted certain sections.
(With valid, and invalid arguments in each.)  It should be made very
clear that these examples are merely to clarify the opinions of
debian-legal, and are in no way binding.

Simon