Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:50:13PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> of these two cases would be (2)(c) cases.  Recall that (2)(c) says,
> "...when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary
> way, to print or display an announcement ..."  Apache is started in the
> most ordinary way via the apachectl or /etc/init.d/apache scripts.  A

PHPNuke is started in exactly the same way on most systems.  In fact, that
very command starts it.  I'm confused about the distinction.

> Interestingly, I don't think (2)(c) would forbid a modified PHPNuke to
> print the copyright notice to a printer (or console) in the server room,
> instead of on the web page the user sees.  The more I look at the
> clause, the more convinced I am that its sole purpose is to torture me.

Heh, I think more than just you are being tortured :-)

This would be a quite workable solution, and one that I find a lot more
difficult to argue with.  One can still debate the interactivity, but the
key is that the act of distribution is now moved elsewhere to the
conventional ways, which makes a lot more sense to me.

> I have a hard time figuring out what that purpose is, at this point.

Could you ask one of the people that drafted that (Stallman?) on our behalf?

-- John