Re: PHPNuke license

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 02:45:01PM -0500, Simon Law wrote:

> 	Everyone who generates a "cut-and-paste" license out of the GNU
> GPL is plagerising, and violating copyright law.

No, they're not. Inclusion by reference without changing the document
itself is perfectly possible and allowable.

>   So actually editing
> the GPL to include more explicit terms is right out.

Agreed.

> 	If you wish to add additional restrictions before or after the
> GPL, then the total license become inconsistent.  The GPL clearly
> marks the beginning and the end of "this License" with:

No, it doesn't. It's quite easy to specify, as I did, that in any case of
contradiction, your additional terms override the GPL's terms.

And even if most authors practising this are not quite so careful, it's
blatantly obvious in most cases what they intend. Which would be enough,
I am led to believe, in court.

But IANAL etc. etc....
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You can rent this space for only $5 a week.