Re: GNOME Font Copyright

Scripsit jbn@forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)

> In another post to debian-legal I encouraged Debian to basically
> ignore the draft license until some software is released under it.

On debian-legal, we're usually happy to work with software authors to
get the warts removed from their draft license *before* they carve it
in stone and release software under it. It happens all too seldom.

> I think the can't-distribute-fonts-alone-for-a-fee clause is
> counterproductive

I think everyone on this list agrees that it is stupid. It is,
however, stupid without being actually harmful, and it is (very
close to explicitly) permitted by the wording of DFSG #1.

[snip: poster supports the FSFs attempts to monopolize the word "free"
as applied to software]

> Whether that clause keeps these fonts from being Free Software, I
> remain interested to learn.

You'd better ask the FSF about that, then.

--
Henning Makholm                             "... and that Greek, Thucydides"