Re: OSD && DFSG convergence

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:56:15PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> >  > The Real license not only has that restriction, but talks at length
> >  > about R&D use only, etc, etc.  It fails that clause in many ways.

> > Take out the R&D and personal use grants.  Does it still comply with
> > the DFSG?  Now add them back.  How is it possible for more freedom to
> > make the software DFSG-nonfree?

> Because the freedom is distributed unevenly.  DFSG states that there must
> not be discrimination.  If there is -- that is, if different people/groups
> get different levels of freedom -- then it is not DFSG-free.

> I think this is a Good Thing, too.  I should be able to do one thing with
> software if I do it in my spare time and another if I do it with my small
> business.

I can't bring myself to agree with this position.  With almost *all*
free software licenses, the copyright holder continues to enjoy
preferential status; does this make them non-free?

Licensed are judged to be free if they provide certain freedoms to all
users.  This doesn't require that they treat everyone equally in other
respects.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer