Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 16:24, Boris Veytsman wrote:
> I completely disagree with these points.

[lots of nice things about Debian snipped - thanks, by the way]

> Having said this, I need to note that the integrity of my (La)TeX
> distribution on the production systems is higher in my priority list
> than ease of maintaining. If Debian starts to change the standard, I
> will probably migrate to TeXLive again -- with all the problems this
> migration would cause.

Well, let me say for my part that I hope it's clear that we aren't
hell-bent on gratuitously changing LaTeX.  If we decide to start
breaking things, please complain loudly.

Our Social Contract states that "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free
Software".  User needs are as important to us as freedom, and we
wouldn't be serving our users if we broke LaTeX document compatibility.