Re: Open Card Consortium Source License - DFSG free?

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Does anyone see a reason why it is not DFSG-free?  The paragraph
> > that bothers me the most is the one at the end of clause 3:
> >
> >     Each Contributor agrees to provide condensed summaries of its
> >     Contributions to OCC periodically, from time to time on a
> >     schedule decided solely by Contributor, either with or
> >     without copies of the Program as modified by such
> >     Contributions.
> >
> > I know that we've rejected mandatory notification clauses before,
> > but this one seems particularly flexible given that the schedule
> > is "decided solely by Contributor", and I'm not sure whether it
> > would still be a problem.  Comments?
>
> It may be impossible for people to make any notifications.  Certain
> uses may preclude it, like making nuclear bombs, running a terrorist
> network, or hacking on a desert island.

The clause does not specify how notification is to be made.  For
a hacker on a desert island, perhaps notification by a note in a
bottle tossed into the ocean is acceptable :-)

> Finally, does this work with the free java VM's like kaffe or gcj?  If
> it only works with the official VM's, then it will have to at least go
> into contrib.

I am using it now with gcj.  Works fine.
--
God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke.  Man blinked.
"What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.  "Everything must have a