Re: Preprints/Reprints of Academic Papers in Packages

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Of course it does.  Read the Debian Social Contract.
> The Debian Distribution is entirely, 100% Free Software.

This seems pretty clear to me, but others seem to read it differently.  If
it's not software, it can't be free software, and therefore can not be
part of Debian.

Fortunately, everything interesting is software ;), so as long as it's
free, it can go into Debian.

Has anyone yet recommended we change it to "Debian is Free Software and
some non-free non-software that supports it"?  Unless this change is made,
I really don't understand how anyone can argue to put non-free bits into
our free system.

Is it free?  It can go into Debian.  Is it not free?  It can't.
Yes, I believe that audio recordings, books, DNA sequences, and standards
documents are software.