Re: debian-legal list entry - confidential information disclosure

On 12 Mar 2002, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Me too.  However I don't think it's worth getting slapped with a
> copyright lawsuit over.

Your positions are not contradictory.  We can make reasonable efforts to
avoid copyright lawsuits AND not give in to silly demands to revise our
archives.

> If someone actually bothers to present us with a proper DMCA copyright
> violation notice I think we should comply and remove the content from
> servers we control unless we have legal advice telling us it's fair
> use or OK for some other reason.

I'm almost certain we'd do so.  But we'd do it in such a way as to make
the person who asked it sorry they'd ever bothered.  This would begin with
putting equally-offensive information that is NOT copyrighted in place of
the alleged copyright violation.  Even so, we'll probably be unable to act
quickly enough to prevent sites more popular than ours
(*cough*slashdot*cough*) from distributing the content very widely if they
so choose.  When the topic comes up, all this will be gleefully pointed
out to our putative claimant.