Re: debian-legal list entry - confidential information disclosure

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> While this may be true for confidentiality, it is certainly not true
> for copyright.  If we published their text without their permission,
> we must rely on a fair use defense or we are in violation of their
> exclusive rights under copyright.
>
> At least under US law, they probably can successfully pressure us to
> remove content from Debian archives should they choose to do so.

Ah, but they haven't asked us to do that.  And if they do, the correct
response is *NOT* to delete the messages.

Instead, the correct response is to

1) Replace the messages with paraphrases of their content, and
2) Make damn sure all the names and email addresses and such stay put.