Re: teTeX Documentation Licenses

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 08:00:01PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Mar 10, C.M. Connelly wrote:
> > There are about 30 documents (and the stuff they document) whose
> > licensing status is less clear, and those are the ones that I have
> > some questions on.  I have included some example
> > copyright/distribution statements based on those in this
> > ``unknown'' category, and I would appreciate a quick take from
> > debian-legal habitues on whether they are DFSG-free, and, in
> > particular, whether we can continue to distribute files with
> > copyright/distribution statements similar to the examples.

> To the best of my knowledge, none of the attached licenses are
> DFSG-free, with the possible exception of the guy who goes on about
> "GNU-style" stuff (who needs to properly license the file).

> The one that's written in French I can't be certain of, but I suspect
> it's not DFSG-free either.

I.

(c) Copyright 1997 Jean-Paul DuBois tous droits reserves.

Si vous desirez, distribuer ce document par FTP ou sur le WEB, ou
placer un pointeur vers ce dernier, merci de m'en informer par
e-mail et de me communiquer l'adresse correspondante.
Redistribution for profit, or in altered content/format prohibited
without permission of the author.  Redistribution via printed book
or CDROM expressly prohibited without consent of the author.  Any
other redistribution must include this copyright notice and
attribution.

Translation of the French:

... all rights reserved.

If you want to distribute this document by FTP or on the web, or link to
it from the latter, please let me know by email and let me know what the
address is.

Since this is phrased as a request ("merci de..."), it may not by itself
land the license on the non-free side of the line; but the English text
that's also part of the license is pretty clearly non-free.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer