Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> > Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>

> > > You seem to be saying that the contract is worthless since it is
> > > difficult to enforce.

> > No, I'm saying that the contract is unneccesary, because it won't make
> > any difference. In the cases where it is possible to enforce it, the
> > culprit will already being punished harder than the contract can
> > manage to do it.

> I'm confused.  How is that different from what I said?

There's a differece in the implied attitude. "Worthless" suggests that
we want something that is worth more instead. "Unnecessary" suggests
that we don't want anything at all. Which is my point.

> > > You aren't saying anything about whether the law requires Debian to
> > > make that contract.

> > No. Does the law do that?

> That would be my entire point.

Well, I can't argue against silly laws. But I'm glad that we don't
have such silliness where I live.

--
Henning Makholm                         "This imposes the restriction on any
                                  procedure statement that the kind and type