Re: Documentation licenses (GFDL discussion on debian-legal)

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:18:08PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> 	Then please remove the GPL from all debian packages, and make non-free
> all those that include it. Or can the GPL be modified, can it be changed
> at will? No. Does it make it non-free: NO.

It's a license, and it's generally accepted that immutable licenses and
warranty disclaimers are a necessary exception, since Debian isn't
comprised entirely of public domain software.

I believe it's perfectly clear to everyone that Mark was not referring to
license texts; they're irrelevant to the discussion.

> Invariant sections are non-technical opinions (see
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto-opt.html) that reflect the author's
> opinions. You cannot remove them, _but_ you can add your own (for example
> to "discuss" what the original author said).

Right, and I certainly don't want to see unremovable opinions in Debian
(even if I happen to agree with them).  Whether they're technical or not
doesn't matter to me.

--
Glenn Maynard