Re: [dev] Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Please do not put us in the position of feeling that we are creating
> points of contention with upstream authors when we do so.  If this
> happens, we may decide it's better to not distribute the software at
> all.  But that, too, may be interpreted as a slight.

For some odd reason I keep hearing text along the lines of "blah blah, or
we might decide tonot ship OOo at all" coming from Debian every now and
then and frankly, i'm pretty sick and tired of it. This is not a hostage
negotiation, what, why and how much damage you impose upon your packagers
and users is primarily your concern, not ours.

> In short, you seem to be asking us to choose between risks: risk being
> rude or risk getting sued.  I think Debian would rather be rude than
> sued.

Fine, your decision.

> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a
> branden@debian.org                 |    man.
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    -- Thornton Wilder

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,