Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:16:08 -0500
> From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>

> Are you asking Debian to regard the following license as DFSG-free?
>
> 	Copyright 1996-2002 Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
>
> 	Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
> 	obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
> 	files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
> 	restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
> 	copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
> 	sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
> 	Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
> 	conditions:
>
> 	1) The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall
> 	be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
> 	Software.
>
> 	2) No file called "plain.tex" shall ever exist on a system where
> 	a TeX interpreter could possibly locate it.

I think that your condition (2) is different from the usual
understanding of Knuth's intentions. Again, I cannot vouch for DEK,
but *my* understanding is

      2) No file called "plain.tex" can be distributed together with
         the TeX interpreter in such a manner that TeX interpreter can
         possibly locate it unless at least one of the following two
         conditions is satisfied: (a) this is the exactly unchanged
         copy of the Knuthian one, or (b) the interpreter is not
         called TeX, and is not distributed as such

--
Good luck

-Boris

Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.
		-- W.C. Bennett