Re: Encoding the name in the file contents

> However, I'm not going to force this down the LaTeX community's
> throat.  If they don't want to do it, they don't have to.  I just
> think that it accomplishes their goals better than anything else,
> while preserving the freedom to modify.

I'd think this was a joke but I have a horrible feeling that you
actually mean it.

Any change to LaTeX that required a change to TeX is out of the question.
It would be _years_ before suitably modified TeXs were installed on
sufficient platforms (if ever). The whole point of the tex macro
language is that formats run over _TeX_. If individual formats start
mandating differently modified tex engines then they would rightly be
ignored by the user base.

> Don't tell me that 631 lines of C code is too much.
It's 631 lines too much.
TeX isn't writen in C. Even if it was available in web the above reasons
would mean that such a solution wouldn't be even a remote possibility.

David