Re: tetex/tex license

Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> wrote:
> as far as TeX is concerned I tried to put up references to what could be
> called a license and copyright notices in
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200207/msg00321.html
>
> and Walter is wrong, it concerns file names and therefore has
> thesame problems as LaTeX with DSFG 4 (or even more so in fact).

In that message, you quoted a copyright page that says:

  The progam for TeX is in the public domain and readers may freely
  incorporate the algorithms of this book into their own
  programs. However, the use of the name TeX is restricted to software
  systems that agree exactly with the program presented here.

That sure sounds like we can do whatever we want with the program
called TeX, as long as we don't call it TeX.  The files in TeX may
talk about other restrictions, but as long as Debian has the
permission above, it is OK.

In another message you mentioned a copyright that says:

% THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmr10.mf BY D E KNUTH.
% IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

I agree.  This sounds non-free.  I think that means that the computer
modern fonts should go into tetex-nonfree.  That would not be the end
of the world.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu