Re: [argouml-dev] javahelp in debian

W liście z pią, 12-07-2002, godz. 11:50, Markus Klink pisze:
> but what is so problematic about the license?
<disclaimer>
I am not a lawyer, only a developer. I am not authoritative about
what's really wrong. However I'll express my feelings here, below.
About licenses it is normal to discuss it on debian-legal mailing
list, so I am Cc:ing there.
I am sure that people from d-legal will corect my mistakes
</disclaimer>

So I took another look at the license Sun uses for JavaHelp at
http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/download_binary.html#download
[click the upper "continue" to see the license]
and here's what I don't like in it mostly.

"2. License to Distribute Redistributables. (...)
(ii) you do not distribute additional software intended to supersede any
component(s) of the Redistributables. (...)
 (v) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and
against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or
expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any
claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from
the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software."

(ii) not sure here, but one could understand it that if Debian
distributes JavaHelp - it is not allowed to distribute any free
replacement of it. Not sure how it fits in the idea that "contrib and
non-free are not parts of Debian".

(v) seems to mean, that Debian, SPI or packager(? no idea which one)
would have to be financially responsible for any lawsuits or any other
actions against Sun because of the software.

Somebody please correct me, but I don't think that this software
would fit even in non-free.

Regards

					Grzegorz Prokopski