Crown copyright and bible-kjv

A question I'm curious about:

/usr/doc/bible-kjv/copyright and /usr/doc/bible-kjv-text/copyright say:

: The copyright for the King James Version text of the Bible is expired
: since the translation was done in 1611 under King James the first of
: Great Britain.

Do we have anyone who can confirm that this is correct within the UK and
generally within the Commonwealth? I've seen it claimed that the Crown
Copyright on the text is perpetual (e.g. at [1], and at least one
publisher of Bible software claims that they needed a licence to do
so: [2]).

And if this is incorrect, do we just go and ask the Crown Patentees for a
licence to distribute, or move the package into another area, or what?

[1] http://www.cni.org/Hforums/cni-copyright/1996-01/0829.html
[2] http://www.explan.co.uk/bible/AV.html