Re: Crypto++ licencing

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:34:30PM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Walter> DSS and IDEA are both patented in Europe, so putting it in
>     Walter> non-us won't help.  There is also the minor problem that
>     Walter> non-us is going the away.

> I personally don't believe non-US is going away until the entire world
> suports software patents.  Crypto is not the only reason for it's
> existence, just the most obvious one.

>     Walter>   It is crypto, so you should talk to the release manager
>     Walter> about how to handle it.  I only know what he wants done
>     Walter> for software currently in non-us.

> For the rest, I'll remove IDEA, DSS & LUC from the upstream tarball,
> put that in non-us/main for now, package the IDEA code separately and
> put it in non-us/non-free

Additionally, there is no plan yet to migrate the contents of
non-US/non-free, most of which are not covered under the export
exemption that we're using for non-US/main.  The crypto-in-main
migration is happening because it benefits our users and resellers to
have as much of the distribution as possible available from a single
source (the main archive), not because people want non-US to disappear
altogether.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer