Re: documentation licenses

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 02:26:11AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> I suggest not to start thinking about this from scratch.  Other people have
> already spent a lot of work into identifying the needs for a free
> documentation license, for example the FSF.  A list of good licenses can be
> found at:

I disagree.  Debian should not just rubberstamp the FSF's list of good
documentation licenses.

Debian needs to establish its own standards for what makes acceptable
free documentation, and judge the licenses accordingly.

Until we have done so, the only metric we have is the DFSG, and the GNU
FDL fails the DFSG.

Perhaps I will have an opportunity to discuss this subject with RMS when
I go to see him speak in Chicago tomorrow night.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to