Group Copyright

Lots of free software projects are developed by fairly large groups.  It
seems to be a common practice for everyone who contributes to a project to
be added to the Copyright notice at the top of the file.  Is this actually
wise?  IIRC, should it become necessary, legal action cannot be taken by
just one or two of the Copyright holders - it has to be everybody.

Another habit I've seen is for projects to list their group as the
Copyright holder, even if their group is not an incorporated entity.  This
much at least I _know_ is a problem, since no such legal "person" exists
to defend their rights.

How then should free software projects handle Copyright?  Advice would be
appreciated.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever worry about this.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@d2dc.net>                   Free software developer

<Endy> taniwha: Quote material :)
<taniwha> Endy: :)