Re: Toba license: free/GPL compatible?

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 12:34:02PM -0500, Fred Gray wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 12:24:46PM -0500, Sam TH wrote:
> >
> > This certainly looks both DFSG-free and GPL-compatible.  The use of
> > the word 'and' rather than 'or' seems to take care of the Pine problem
> >

> Quoting from the Pine FAQ (http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/legal.html#10.2):
>
>   In particular, the earliest Pine licenses included the words: "Permission to
>   use, copy, modify, and distribute this software... is hereby granted," but
>   some people tried to pervert the meaning of that sentence to define "this
>   software" to include derivative works of "this software".
>
> So, apparently the Pine license also used the word "and."  Hmmph.

I think that's a bullshit license interpretation.  The terms of a
non-negotiated license are construed against the drafter.  All the
same, you might want to get a clarification for your license.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss