Re: is the license of gsview okay?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:18:45AM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> I am interested in gsview which is famous in Windows users
> and a kind of ghostview or gv.  But I am not sure if its license
> permits us to upload to Debian or not.

Why do you want to package it? It's not like it fills a need that
can't be filled with free software.

> GSview is copyright by Ghostgum Software Pty Ltd.
> GSview is distributed with the Aladdin Free Public Licence.
> This licence is contained in the file /usr/share/doc/gsview/LICENCE

Fine for non-free.

> pstoedit is Copyright by Wolfgang Glunz and is licensed with
> the GNU Public Licence (GPL).  Binaries are included in
> GSview with the permission of Wolfgang Glunz.

Fine. (GPL is fine as long as it's not linked with non-GPL. This
is a seperate binary, so it's all right.)

> GSview uses pstotext in an external DLL. pstotext was written by
> Andrew Birrell and Paul McJones.  It is
>   Copyright (C) 1995-1996, Digital Equipment Corporation.
> See the licence in pstotext.txt or pstotext.zip for more details.

>         (3) The Software may not be transferred to any third party
> unless such third party receives a copy of this Agreement and agrees
> to be bound by all of its terms and conditions.

This is the only part that seems non-free. If I read this right, it's
a restriction on distribution Debian can't satisfy even in non-free; we
would have to make sure anyone we distributed to agreed before we gave
them a copy.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org