Re: New licence for cryto++ code-base
>>>>> "David" == David Starner <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> haval.cpp - Copyright 1992 Yuliang Zheng.
>> idea.cpp - Copyright 1992 Colin Plumb.
>> mars.cpp - Copyright 1998 Brian Gladman.
>> md2.cpp - Copyright 1994, 1995 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>> serpent.cpp - Copyright 1998, 1999 Brian Gladman and Sam
David> What are the licenses on these documents? Are they
David> compatible and free licenses?
See below for such information as is contained in these files:
// haval.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from Yuliang Zheng's HAVAL.c
// distributed with Yuliang Zheng's permission
* Y. Zheng, J. Pieprzyk and J. Seberry:
* ``HAVAL --- a one-way hashing algorithm with variable
* length of output'', Advances in Cryptology --- AUSCRYPT'92,
* Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1993.
* Author: Yuliang Zheng
* Department of Computer Science
* University of Wollongong
* Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
* Email: email@example.com
* Voice: +61 42 21 4331 (office)
// idea.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from:
// Copyright 1992 by Colin Plumb. Distributed with permission.
/* idea.c - C source code for IDEA block cipher.
* IDEA (International Data Encryption Algorithm), formerly known as
* IPES (Improved Proposed Encryption Standard).
* Algorithm developed by Xuejia Lai and James L. Massey, of ETH Zurich.
* This implementation modified and derived from original C code
* developed by Xuejia Lai.
* Zero-based indexing added, names changed from IPES to IDEA.
* Optimized for speed 21 Oct 92 by Colin Plumb.
* The IDEA(tm) block cipher is covered by a patent held by ETH and a
* Swiss company called Ascom-Tech AG. The Swiss patent number is
* PCT/CH91/00117. International patents are pending. IDEA(tm) is a
* trademark of Ascom-Tech AG. There is no license fee required for
* noncommercial use. Commercial users may obtain licensing details
* from Dieter Profos, Ascom Tech AG, Solothurn Lab, Postfach 151, 4502
* Solothurn, Switzerland, Tel +41 65 242885, Fax +41 65 235761.
// mars.cpp - modified by Sean Woods from Brian Gladman's mars6.c for Crypto++
// key setup updated by Wei Dai to reflect IBM's "tweak" proposed in August 1999
/* This is an independent implementation of the MARS encryption */
/* algorithm designed by a team at IBM as a candidate for the US */
/* NIST Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) effort. The algorithm */
/* is subject to Patent action by IBM, who intend to offer royalty */
/* free use if a Patent is granted. */
/* Copyright in this implementation is held by Dr B R Gladman but */
/* I hereby give permission for its free direct or derivative use */
/* subject to acknowledgment of its origin and compliance with any */
/* constraints that IBM place on the use of the MARS algorithm. */
/* Dr Brian Gladman (firstname.lastname@example.org) 4th October 1998 */
// md2.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from Sun Microsystems's md2.c
SKIP Source Code License Statement:
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Copyright (C) 1994, 1995 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software or derivatives of the Software, and to
permit persons to whom the Software or its derivatives is furnished
to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
The Software must not be transferred to persons who are not US
citizens or permanent residents of the US or exported outside
the US (except Canada) in any form (including by electronic
transmission) without prior written approval from the US
Government. Non-compliance with these restrictions constitutes
a violation of the U.S. Export Control Laws.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC., BE LIABLE
FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR DERIVATES OF THIS SOFTWARE OR
THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Except as contained in this notice, the name of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
the sale, use or other dealings in this Software or its derivatives
without prior written authorization from Sun Microsystems, Inc.
// serpent.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from Brian Gladman's serpent.c
/* This is an independent implementation of the encryption algorithm: */
/* Serpent by Ross Anderson, Eli Biham and Lars Knudsen */
/* which is a candidate algorithm in the Advanced Encryption Standard */
/* programme of the US National Institute of Standards and Technology. */
/* Copyright in this implementation is held by Dr B R Gladman but I */
/* hereby give permission for its free direct or derivative use subject */
/* to acknowledgment of its origin and compliance with any conditions */
/* that the originators of the algorithm place on its exploitation. */
/* Dr Brian Gladman (email@example.com) 14th January 1999 */
I'm sure theat md2.cpp is OK. What about the others?
"And what do we burn apart from witches?"... "More witches!"