Re: graphviz license

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 11:38:13AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> I don't know if this has already been looked at, but given their
> assertion that OSI have failed to get back to them after several
> months, perhaps we should have a look and tell them what we think of
> their license.
>
>   http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/download.html

I found (at least) these problems that make the license non-free.

In YOUR REPRESENTATIONS:
1.e "You will regularly monitor the Website for any notices."

In YOUR OBLIGATIONS:
article 1 requires you to enter into a contract with anyone to
which you distribute a patch.

article 2 requires you to contact AT&T and give them a copy of
any patch you distribute.

In YOUR GRANT OF RIGHTS TO AT&T:
article 1 requires you to give AT&T a free and full license to
do anything with "any IPR owned or licensable by you which in
any way relates to your Patches".

In GENERAL:
3.a terminates your rights if a "non-frivolous claim" relating
to the source code is made.  It does contain another sentence which
directly contradicts this, however.

4. requires you to abide by US export laws and regulations.

--
Richard Braakman