Re: bibindex should probably be GPLed.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 06:18:19PM +0100, Jens Ritter wrote:

> "public domain" means that you can publish it under the GPL.
> This term means that the ones who are copyright owners do not enforce
> it but have placed it into the public domain. Which basically means
> that you can do anything with such a piece of software (even copyright
> it by yourself and sell it under NDAs and such).
>
> Releasing it under the GPL becomes an issue of politics (with regard
> to the upstream maintainers).

This political problem is my concern here.  I understand that I CAN (if I
wish) release the modified sources under the GPL.  My specific question here
is whether I HAVE TO release it under the GPL if I link with the GNU
Readline library (which is GPL'ed).  Noticed that the original upstream
code (which is in "public domain") has nothing to do with the Readline
library, only my modifications are related to it.

Thanks for your advise, Jens, but I think that I need more enlightenment.

--
Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org>