Re: bibindex should probably be GPLed.

I am moving this discussion to debian-legal in order to get an advice on how
to proceed with this problem.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 11:07:58AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

> I see you have modified it to use readline, which is great, but since
> readline is GPLed, I think the complete Debian bibindex package should be
> released under GPL, not only the modifications for Debian as stated in the
> copyright file.

Santiago is referring to a modification that I did to the biblook/bibindex
package to include history support at the command line.  This item was in
the upstream ToDo list and an improved patch of mine has been incorporated
upstream to appear in the next release.

	I am attaching below the copyright file for my package. At the time I
	created it, I did not pay attention to this problem of linking
against a
GPLéd (not LGPLéd) library.  I am confused about what to do now. Although
the upstream source is "public domain", I cannot release the whole package
under the GPL, as it is actively maintained and the upstream authors may not
appreciate it.  Could the licensing gurus enlighten me here?

Please, Cc: followups to me as I am not subscribed to debian-legal.

--
Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org>