Re: Was Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 05:01:54AM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> Seriously, it's the contrast between a meritless lawsuit and no
> lawsuit at all. Meritless lawsuits are expensive; we'll get back to
> you after we IPO. Ask the css-auth victims...

It's not just the lawsuit threat.  It's also the ethics of the situation.
We have a social contract, and to violate it would change debian into
something that most of us would not be happy with.

Think about what it would do to our reputation, and our own opinion of
ourselves, if we distributed software where the authors haven't granted
permission to distribute it.

Now, for most of the kde software, I understand that all the authors
have given sufficient permissions to distribute.  If this is the case,
the problem is merely that the kde package maintainer hasn't included
this permission in the copyright file.

--
Raul