Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:22:27PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > In these cases where there are grey areas, I wouldn't really trust our
> > opinions to be all that valid.  Just as we might not trust a lawyer's
> > advice on how to implement a technical issue, maybe we should consider
> > having a lawyer looking at something that falls under their area of
> > expertise before we go off half-cocked.
>
> Quite right.  I believe this step has already been taken.

You wish.  =>

RMS has commented on the opinions of the FSF lawyer(s), but that's the
extent anyone has really looked into the matter other than individual
dists asking their lawyers "will distributing this get us sued?"  To which
those lawyers reply (guessing), "Probably not.  If they do we'll probably
have to dump the curent shipment of CDs and make more that don't have any
of this on them."  To which the person asking probably replied, "Oh, okay.
We make releases often enough anyway, so that's probably not a problem."

Debian isn't a company and we don't distribute our CDs.  We don't have a
lawyer to ask about these things whom we can hold accountable for legal
advice.  We err on the side of caution in these cases.

(Besides, when was the last time Debian made a target release date?  *g*)

Please note I am not generally dealing with this issue on the mailing
lists anymore.  There have been a few points raised, but in large this
discussion is mostly being discussed among the wrong people, making it
rather difficult to get anywhere particularly beneficial.  As a result,
I'm more or less leaving this thread (have already left it for the most
part..)

I think KDE's licensing list isn't working because several people who tell
me they're on it haven't seen this thread.  The issues need to be raised
with KDE directly.  And the people who really need to be raising them are
the people whose GPL'd code is used without their prior condition.  As for
the KDE-native GPL'd code...  *shrug*

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<Oryn> anyone know if there is a version of dpkg for redhat?