Re: kde and debian a long love story :)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 07:18:42PM -0100, Anthony wrote:
> > Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >All I said was that nothing has changed, and that we are treating
> >GPL'ed packages linked against XForms the same way.  I don't see
> >a Pro-KDE people vs Anti-KDE people issue at all.>
> I hope so i don't want to see this kind of thing in this thread
> please reread the BIG FAT WARGING. I'm currently sending some
> mails in the kde-licensing mailing list. Be sure this time something
> will change.
>
> Please don't post anything that is non-contructive.
I read your warning... doesn't change what I wrote... Pointing out the
situation is never non-contructive...

> Darren O. Benham said:
> >Everybody on debian-legal has an opinion.. and most voice it.. but then the
> >discussion just peters out with the Pro-KDE people not having enough of an
> >argument to put KDE back in... and the Anti-KDE people not having enough of
> >a case to shutdown the argument once and for all.
> Please don't do that in "my" thread
>
> You can subscribe to the kde-licensing mailing list by sending
> a mail to: kde-licensing-request@kde.org
> with the SUBJECT: subscribe your-email-address
I am subscribed.. ut I generally don't read emails there.  I'm not
interested in KDE being in Debian.. I"m not interested in KDE being out of
Debian.  I *am* interested in the issue being finalized in such a way that
the issue doesn't have to come up again unless something major change.

Ok.. "constructive"  Let's look at some things that may or may not be
public knowledge:

1)  QT license has changed and has even been pronounced as OpenSource by
the various authorities (including RMS).
2)  Licenses have changed in various parts of KDE (has anyone LOOKED
lately?  There are debs in Incoming linked against KDE2)[1]
3)  It would be nice if the ftpmasters would state on the mailing lists why
the KDE debs in incoming are not in the archives.[2]

Before  going off and suggesting all sorts of extreme ideas for getting KDE
into Debian (license changes, buy Troll, lesstif-type libraries) see what
is really needed.  I'm betting kdelibs (as far as I got before I switched
to Gnome) could go into Debian w/o change!

----------

[1] I have.. here's an example from the kdelibs package... kdecore
directory:

/* This file is part of the KDE libraries
    Copyright (C) 1997 Matthias Kalle Dalheimer (kalle@kde.org)
    Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 KDE Team

    This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
    License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
    version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

    This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
    Library General Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
License
    along with this library; see the file COPYING.LIB.  If not, write to
    the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
    Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
*/

[2] This is what I was told on IRC after talking to Richard Braakman and
James Troup... distilled..

Before KDE is going to get in, the ftpmasters have to be sure that there is
no third party GPL code (or other improperly licensed code).  Since KDE2 is
destined for experimental (it's BETA code) it takes a lower priority than
non experimental pacakges AND ftpmaster time is at a premium.