Re: kde and debian a long love story :)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 09:55:42PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >And the answer, I think, is that if they did, the pieces of software
> > >which weren't originally written for Qt would stand out.  And, a KDE with
> > >those pieces missing would be a lot less attractive than KDE as a whole.
>
> I heard a major KDE developer saying exactly this: Acknowledging that there
> is a licensing problem would exclude all third party GPL code from their use.

Not like developers would never grant them permission to use 3rd party
code if they cared enough to ask, just that they don't think they should
have to take the time.  Forgiveness is easier to get than permission after
all.

I think a revival of Harmony is necessary.  And not for the sake of KDE,
but because Qt's interface is better than most C++ GUI libs out there for
Linux to be sure.  And if we can't have a GPL-compatible Qt, we may as
well reimplement the thing for our own sakes.  To hell with KDE, I have
applications which I'd love to write for a truly GPL-compatible Qt--but I
am unwilling to compromise on the GPL as a license.  Not after all of
this.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<raptor> Adamel, i think the code you fixed of mine didn't work
<raptor> i must not have commited the working code
<Knghtbrd> raptor: like it's the first time THAT has ever happened  =p