Re: Free World Licence possible improved structure.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 01:51:26AM +1030, Ross N. Williams wrote:
> Marc and others,
>
> I've had an idea for a new Free World Licence structure.
[cut]
>    You may not copy the Module onto a non-free platform.
>    However, as an exception, you may copy the Module onto a
>    non-free platform for the purpose of transmitting the
>    Module to a free platform or for browsing the source code,
>    provided that you do not execute the Module on the non-free
>    platform, and provided that you take reasonable steps to
>    ensure that the Module is not executed on the non-free
>    platform.
[cut]

* I have free and non-free OSes on the same computer
* I install software under this license when free OS is running
* I reboot to non-free OS, mount free partition and run the software.

It will be easy and legal to use such software on non-free platform
by simply instaling it on free alternative OS because :

	Reboot and mounting are not copying for copyright law.

And more :
both OSes could be on the same partition
one of OSes could be run via VMWare or something similar

And to not run such code under non-free OS, one might run
it under free OS under machine emulator, quite slower,
but possibly legal (not sure if it will work)

HOW TO SOLVE THIS ?

By defining platform better,
but Im still not sure if there is any working definition
definition will have to solve situations like :
* microkernels vs. machine emulators (it should not prohibit running under microkernel)
* multiple OSes running simultaniously (under microkernel or machine emulator)
* instaling non-free OS to machine containing only free one during instalation
  of your code