Re: FunnelWeb manuals copyright issues

At 2:22 AM +0100 2/1/2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>Oh, so you are not against changing your manual, only affraid if
>someone misrepresents something what is not your work as your work.
>What abot this licence :
>
>Copyright 199x Ross N. Williams <ross@rocksoft.com>
>All rights reserved.
>
>Redistribution and use, with or without modification, are permitted
>provided that the following conditions are met:
>
>1. Redistribution must retain the above copyright notice,
>   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>2. Redistributions of modified versions MUST NOT be misrepresented
>   as original version. All modifications MUST be plainly pointed.
>   This point doesnt apply if modifications doesnt change content
>   of this manual, only data format or medium on which content appears.
>
>THIS MANUAL IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
>IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
>WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>Do you like it (cut & paste parts of bsd and artistic, with some my editorial) ?

Yes, it's fine. However, I can be annoying too, and to prove it,
I've recast your notice in my own words:

   Copyright (c) Ross N. Williams 1992,1999. All rights reserved.

   Permission is granted to redistribute and use this manual in
   any medium, with or without modification, provided that all
   notices (including, without limitation, the copyright
   notice, this permission notice, any record of modification,
   and all legal notices) are preserved on all copies, that all
   modifications are clearly marked, and that modified versions
   are not represented as the original version unless all the
   modifications since the manual's original release by Ross N.
   Williams (www.ross.net) consist of translations or other
   transformations that alter only the manual's form, not its
   content. THIS MANUAL IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY
   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT
   LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND
   FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY
   LAW THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

How's that?

Ross.

Dr Ross N. Williams (ross@rocksoft.com), +61 8 8232-6262 (fax-6264).