Re: FunnelWeb manuals copyright issues

At 2:49 PM +0100 1/1/2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > >Does it mean that on each page of translation I have to put a notice :
> > >`this is modified version of FunnelWeb manual by Ross N. Williams (www.ross.net)
> > >made by Stasiu Translatorek <stasiu@pertus.com.pl>' ???
> >
> > Well, for a pure translation I'd actually be happy with just a front
> > page notice, but in my mind, the following would satisfy the black
> > letter reading if it appeared as a footnote in size2 on each page:
> >
> >   Translated into Scandeluvian by Stasiu Translatorek.
> >
> > The footnote could be hyperlinked to a page containing more info.
> >
> > Is that so much to ask? All the manuals are in FunnelWeb,
> > so this is actually only about ten minutes work changing the
> > end-of-page macro in each of the four subwebs. In contrast, it's
> > going to take me about another five hours to change the copyright
> > message and reship all the webs :-)
> >
> > Three options:
> >
> >    1. Run with the notice as it stands.
> >    2. Run with it now, but weaken it in the next release.
> >    3. Weaken it now and reship all the documentation.
>
>Maybe I am some kind of dfsg fanatic, but if someone would like to provide
>translations on non-pagable device ? Your license forbid using translations
>with aural device (there are no pages there), and what about a-few-dozens-chars/page
>device (watches, very little handhelds) ? You see, world is changing, and web means
>diversity.

Well, fine. I don't want to be a stick-in-the-mud.

All I'm trying to do is protect myself. FunnelWeb is created by me
and, by default, people will think that anything that appears in the
manual was written by me. What's to stop some brain-dead person putting
something technically-incorrect or stupid or worse: mildly racist or
slightly-off that no one will question, but everyone will assume I
wrote? By creating a manual with my name on it that anyone can modify,
I'm effectively authorizing a broadcast channel with my name on it that
anyone can anonymously write to!!! Does that seem sensible to you?!!!

I want to make it free, but the only way I'm going to make it free
to the extent that you want it to be free is to anonymize the entire
package so my name doesn't appear anywhere.

So if you want to be picky, why don't YOU write me a notice that
will simultaneously satisfy you AND protect my good(?:-) name
because I think my desire to protect my good name is REASONABLE!

>And the real thing:
>
>This requirance, that only derived works with notice on each modified page
>are allowed forbids derived works w/o this notice on each page, so
>this licence is against dfsg. And this text about frontpage is not good either.
>I know, I am annoying,

I'm glad that you are blessed with this high degree of self-knowledge.

However, what's REALLY annoying is that this pickiness is coming from a
guy whose domain is "beer.com".

If you're going to be like this, at least change to a more realistic
domain such as "motherfuckerlawyer.com" :-)

>but if you want it to be free, make it free, and
>if you dont want our freedom (this doesnt mean `free beer', rather `free speech'),
>we can put it to non-free. It is good enough for this archive,

By this do you mean that you're going to let it into the main
archive for this distribution?

Yann may want me to make some changes to the doco anyway so maybe
I will be reshipping anyway.

I want the manuals to be in the main archive because that's where the
code is and it seems like a bad idea to separate then. Also, I want the
WHOLE of FunnelWeb to be blessed by Debian/GNU/OpenSource/FSF/RMS/ESR/etc,
preferably in an ecumenical Sunday service of some kind conducted by
RMS in his robes and disk drive halo in front of a congregation of
lawyers with email addresses like *@beer.com and *@smashthecapitaliststate.com.

Ross.

Dr Ross N. Williams (ross@rocksoft.com), +61 8 8232-6262 (fax-6264).
Director, Rocksoft Pty Ltd, Adelaide, Australia: http://www.rocksoft.com/