Re: Fields of Endeavor (was Re: [Fwd: Intent to package: pm3])

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:23:22AM -0400, Mike Goldman wrote:
> To take a somewhat more concrete example: suppose I write a program which can be
> used to design explosive devices.  Such devices have many appropriate uses, in
> mining, construction, and so forth.  Perhaps it is unnecessary that I explicitly
> restrict use by terrorists, since terrorism is illegal.  (However, if I did so
> anyhow, would that make my license DFSG-non-free?)

Yes.

>  On the other hand, perhaps I
> do not wish for my software to be used by certain governments for "military"
> purposes - which are by definition "legal", yet just as clearly destructive.
> Must an author permit such military use for a license to be DFSG-free?

Yes.

And anyway, do you really think that they would care a dime about
the restrictions in the license if they would need the software for their
secret work?

If you don't want your software to be used for such purposes, don't write it.
That's the only way to prevent this. I wonder how people can think that they
can surpress illegal activities by some words in a software license when
copies of the latest PC software are traded by school kiddies during the
break.

The license of a free software program is one of the worst places I can
think of to promote and endorse your personal preferences in politics,
miliary, ethnic and religion. There are better places for social engagement.

About your above example. Great. Such software could also NOT be modifed and
used by the military to find a way to detect and destroy mines in places
where a war has ended. Every medaillon has two sides.

Marcus