Re: Is OSL 2.0 compliant with DFSG?

On 2004-04-10 10:01:03 +0100 Free Ekanayaka <free@agnula.org> wrote:

Please could you answer to his question?

I am not sure what question you mean, because I couldn't see it in the forwarded email.

For the question in the subject line: I still think that OSL 2.0 is not DFSG-free because it terminates copyright permission for any software patent action, including ones unrelated to the covered software. The Licensor is also free to initiate patent actions against the Licensee and this seems to hinder the Licensee's defence. I see this as a type of bad termination clause, which wouldn't be tolerated for copyrights alone.

To me, the easiest course would be to issue seperate copyright and patent licences which do not interact. We could then considers them individually without playing "hunt the interaction" and people in swpat-free areas (including Sweden for now?) may be able to ignore the swpat one.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at